Monday, April 25, 2011

Don't Be Lame


A lot of people out there are training hard, as am I and I just wanted to post a friendly reminder that its ok to have goals and work your ass of toward attaining them. However, sometimes its not ok to blow off your friends and neglect your family. When you get sick or hurt from over training, whos going to come to your aid? Whos going to talk you up to a speedy recovery and most of all, whos going to be your fan club if you are too focused on the training?

Its ok to go out and have a beer everyonce in a while, just like rules, schedules were made to be broken. Just as it takes cross training to become an amazing athlete, it also takes multidimentional living to become a well rounded individual.

If competing in 3 IM or HIM races a year is taxing your life, maybe it would be better to enter shorter races that in turn require less training and time. Leaving you with free time to experience life. How I look at it in CO is that I can run anywhere, but I can never experience the CO lifestyle if I dont engage in the things that make it great. Including hiking 14ers, going skiing, going on a brew tour or two. These things may or may not make me a better triathlete but also they will help me enjoy my 3 sport races more and fortify my decision to live in CO. In the end do what makes you happy, but take some time out on your long run or ride to step out of the box and ask, am I doing what makes me happy and is it worth it? Life is short and there's so much to see and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment