Saturday, July 23, 2011

Crash



With all the recent crashes during the Tour de France I guess I decided to follow suit. Out on a training ride on a route that I've never taken before I found myself at a y split on a path. It was paved kind of funky and with the narrow width of my tires the bike got stuck in a crack while I continued to turn the opposite way.

On the way down I clipped out my left foot and tried despirately to catch myself but as you know hard plastic on concrete offers no traction. I slide out hitting the ground hard as my right leg finally clipped out. My front cog dug into the back of my leg as the chain popped off. I laid there stunned at what just happend and even though I wasnt going more than 10 mph I was in pain. I took a moment to assess and gather myself, I couldnt believe that just happend. I hadnt fallen hard off a bike in years, not like this. My left wrist used in catching my fall hurt the most and began to swell. My left glute took a hit as well but I could stand and better yet I could ride.

This was only hours after a short ride to the store where a bee collided into my face and held on. By the time I was able to swat him off he had already somehow crawled under my sunglasses and stung me hard! I can barely describe to you how painful this is, your eye first begins to tear just before it swells shut. The initial sting starts to grow as the toxins spread.

I've had a chance to talk with others who've went down while on their bikes. One of the first things they say as their picking stones out of their wounds is "man I'm glad I wasnt on my TT bike." I was even saying this as I reset the chain and assessed the damages.


I finished my ride and went home to ice down my now swollen wrist. On of the worst injuries you can have in CO since almost every activity involves a wrist. Hoping for a speedy recovery but not sure how much damage was done.


No comments:

Post a Comment