Friday, August 3, 2012

Boulder Half Ironman Pre Race

For a half Ironman, athletes generally start to shut down their training 8 to 10 days out and begin to taper.  I, on the other hand decided to take one more weekend to increase my confidence at the distance on the bike by riding the 112 miles from Vail, CO to Aspen, CO. (Vail to Glenwood Springs 65 miles on Day 1, Glenwood Springs to Aspen 47).  While the first day was down hill, we did average 23 mph for much of it and then eased off when we figured our car support wouldnt be showing up at the same time.  The second day was a gradual uphill with 2 climbing sessions.  Post ride I did get in a T-Run if you can call it a run.  Aspen is at @8000' and my legs were pretty tired, but not trashed, and very little soreness.  My goal was to recover quickly this week and begin my taper immediately.

I took an ice bath, on Sunday.
Monday I did a light morning swim
Tuesday a short mountain bike ride at a bike demo (2 mins)
Wed 2 short 30 min runs to stretch things out
Thurs another short but higher intensity swim
Fri a short 30 min run
Sat short bike ride.

As the week progressed I got sore calfs from the running, my swim times seemed a bit slow and I just didnt feel like getting on the bike (weather produced some rain as well).  I figure in a taper week, as long as you can stay active but dont try to blow yourself up, you wont lose any fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment