Sunday, June 19, 2011

Boulder Sprint 5430 Triathlon







This is the first race of the Boulder Tri Series which is all around pretty competitive. The TA opened at 6 and my wave went off at 7:35.

Swim:
started right near the front. Goggles were already fogging while waiting so I spat in them and other then a little bit of visual obstruction they never really fogged up again. I clawed over the top of a few people and got boxed out 2x but after the first bouy I was in the clear and in a rhythem. I sighted the yellow turn bouy with a guy on my right but as we appoached closer I determined it was the wrong bouy and traversed back in line with my wave (having gone out of the way maybe 30m or so), while my swimmate continued off course. After the first turn I knew I was doing well, it was rather thin and I didnt have to worry about breaking rhythem due to fighting for position. As expected a few guys did go out too hard and were starting to falter after the second turn (I've been there). I had not probalems sighting on the return and began to kick less to save my legs but also sped up my stroke cadence.

I stood up the moment my hand touched the bottom and started out of the water in 11th place. I got passed right away as I struggled to undo my zipper but my run pace was better than the trott I had last race. When passing the baby pools to get the sand off my feet I was on the wrong side of the path and had to jump over and in. The surface change caused me to lose balance and fall into the bushes lining the path. Unlike the Boulder Sunrise race, WTC was nice enough to line the rocky paved parts with carpet so I was able to reach the TA without having to slow down.

T1:
I got my wetsuit low and off right away. Next I pulled on my socks (which were lined with baby powder which helps when putting them on over wet feet). Then it was sunglasses, helmet, bike and go. No fooling around this time! I reached the mount line and jumped on to the bike placing my feet onto my already clipped in bike shoes.

Bike:
After the first pedal stroke I was looking down to get my feet situated and ready to put in my shoes and somehow I ended up off the course and into the grass. A few spectators got more of a show than they showed up for as they had to jump out of my way. I was feeling good until about 5 mins in where other athletes began to pass me. There was nothing I could do but hammer down and ride smart, stick to my plan. The race wasnt over yet.

T2: went off without a hitch and I grabed some water on my way out onto the run course.








Run:

The run was an out and back course on the dam path of the Boulder Res. A familiar course both in training and racing at this point. The course starts off with a hill, which your tired legs hate after just getting off the bike but it makes for a great finish. I probably went out a little faster than I should have but I quickly picked off a few people that passed me on the bike but lack in running skill. My goal was to break 20 mins on my finish leg but in order to do that I would have to get on the shoulder of someone with that same goal in mind. At the turn around I made a friend and we pushed each other to the last 800m where I lost contact with him and it cost me both a sub 1:30 total time finish as well as a sub 20 in the 5k run. I maybe had a little more in the tank but felt like I ran a very good race overall.





division place: 29 out of 84
gender place: 208 out of 632
time: 1:30:07
swim: 12:56 pace=27:45 12 in AG
t1: 1:49
bike: 53:37 pace=19.25
t2: 1:19
run: 20:26 pace=6:35

No comments:

Post a Comment