Thursday, June 9, 2011

Uni Hill 2k Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPUbwuzlYO4&feature=player_embedded

The Uni-Hill (University Hill district) 2k kicks off the Run Boulder Series put on by Ironman/WTC. Team Timex including Barry Siff and Erin Krummer showed up to help the kids warm up before their 1k race (one loop of the course). There was even a 500m Masscot race.

The main event competitive division didnt go off until 7:20 starting with some of the fastest women in Boulder and surrounding area.

The men's gun was at 7:40pm as the overcast day started to lift and show a waning sun begining to set. I got a great starting position toward the front, but knew I wasnt going to be going out all that hard, toeing next to some of my friends from the mens BX team. I planned for a very conservative start considering the first 250m's objective was to take the hill, in about 20m of elevation gain before we wound back down to do it all over again. Within the first 200m I was already gassed. Breathing heavy, my legs were burning and I was passed by at least 5 people and wondering if I was now dead last. It was kind of humiliating until the second go round when my steady pace brought me up to and beyond a few stragglers that had started to lose their fight with the hill. In fact I wasnt last to begin with but I started to gain more confidence in my smart race plan as this happened. I got to the pinicle fo the second time and knew that was my cue to start kicking downhill with 200m left, the perfect set up for me normally. As shown at the Platte River Half Marathon. I just wish I had more in the tank for a better finishing time, there really wasnt anyone in sight to pass at that point.

I finished:

Time-7:38
Pace-6:09
26th out of 31 (some of the best runners around)

No comments:

Post a Comment