Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lean into the tape


Inspired by this video posted on Competitor.com http://video.competitor.com/2010/08/running/racing-weight-training-to-be-lean/

Interested in collecting more data on how my training has gone, I weighed in yesterday(Since im less then 15 days till race day we will have to deem this "race weight") finding that I was 4 pounds lighter then last appraisal. From my days of being a vaulter I'm very familiar with the max strength to weight ratio. I would repeatedly weigh in like a wrestler to determine pole selection (poles are weight rated, with conversations for length). The goal was to pack in as much strength and fitness into the smallest container, and shed unneeded mass.

Throughout my 10 month training for this race I have done just that. I've trained with intensity and focused on my goals, not only how I looked. I established a mixture of strength and endurance toward my goal pace. Even though 4 lbs seems like a lot, I truly feel like i've reached that fine line I was searching for. I guess we will only know from performance right?

I just wanted to send out a warning that after a tough cycle and onto the begining of your taper you will continue to have a high motabalism. Generally you reduce your calorie intake to match training load and you do shed a few pounds as your body makes the adjustment. Be sure to make these intake and burn adjustments giving your body what it needs, when it needs it. Tough cycles are for building, the taper is for recovery and repair, both require carefully thought out nutritional planning. Keep focus on whats important, its feeling and proformence on race day, not what the number is. Also I have researched that you can lose 4-8 lbs during the race (depending on effort and length of time), which is over 3000 calories. Make sure that your race weight includes the stored calories/glycogen/fat you'll need to cover the distance.

There is no plan that can tell you the answer to this part of your training. It takes trial/error, and a close watch over your body. Happy training, finish with a lean.

No comments:

Post a Comment