Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Crash-Almost got Raptured

Judgement Day: Now I'm a non-believer and I'm certainly not one to remain at home counting down the hours but when you stop and view what the world has become and what surrounds you from an outsiders point of view, what you see can really rock your world.

The day started out with nothing really out of the ordinary. I took the Felt TT bike out for a spin and quickly noticed 2 factors that ultimately shorted my ride. First one was that somehow my aero bars had slipped out of position and where now angled closer to the front wheel, the severity of the situation was heightened due to windy conditions (which isn't out of the ordinary here in Boulder on the front range). So I took the Felt back to the stables and jumped on my road bike for the remainder of a 25 mile ride. I need to make some serious adjustments to this bike now that I have the old seat back on it and now that I'm trying to get used to a more aggressive aero position. It was great to finally see the sun shining after so many days of rain so after lunch I had other outdoor activities planned.

I was on my way to meet up with some friends for my very first climbing session outdoors in Colorado at some kick ass routes in Clear Creek Canyon just outside Golden. However just passed an intersection a car 2 cars in front of me had stopped to turn into a parking lot that was blocked by a car exiting the lot. Myself and a pickup truck in front of me stopped to allow that trade to happen. While stopped I looked up at my rear view mirror and I instantly knew trouble was approaching. I saw a SUV come barreling through the intersection without hesitation, when it got to 50' or so behind me I knew it was time to brace for impact. Cue SLOOOW MOTIONNNNN! I was stopped about 7-8' behind the pickup and there wasn't time to plan out options of escape. It was weird, I waited for the sound of screeching tires as sort of a warning of the eminent situation. It didn't happen, full steam the SUV slammed my bumper setting myself, the car and all its contents into motion. My glasses and cap were thrown from my head as my glove compartment opened and the spare change from the center console took flight. Having mear moments to visualize this occurring I guess I didn't include the chance of a second impact, my car struck the bumper in front of me as it sought refuge under the pick up truck. Misaligned cosmic forces being visually acted out for the people of Lakewood (for you judgement day believers).

It all happened so fast and slow at the same time, I was stunned and couldn't really identify if it was over or to prepare for something else. This was my first crash, mainly due to a fundamental rule I drive by... To never occupy the space of another object at the same time. Yes generally I do drive in a fashion in which some may call aggressive, but I call it foresight. Being able to carefully calculate and predict actions and timing as I scan the situation and take in new data. But when you are at rest you're pretty much at the mercy of the driving abilities and attention of drivers behind you. Its not an easy concept to grasp, you are trusting other drivers with your life. The driver of the SUV came to my window to see if I was ok, and I was. I hadn't hit anything personally, nothing was broken or bleeding. I got out to assess the damages. At first glance my first thought was, "good thing I don't drive a smart car, that would have been a dumb way to die." The driver of the SUV actually had not locked up his brakes, he stated that he was looking right as he drove through the intersection. At least he wasn't texting! The truck and SUV had minimal damage, there were 9 people involved and no one was seriously injured. Surprisingly to me, there also were no airbags deployed either.

All cars were drivable and when the cops came to take statements and write reports we were instructed to move our vehicles off the road. My hood was so crunched up it made it difficult to see over.

I'm known to be a punctual person so by this time my friends were wondering where I was and what had happened to me. I showed up almost an hour late in a cloudy daze but still with the will to go climbing. However as the shock started to wear off I noticed more and more back and neck soreness. In the days to follow this increased.

Now that my car is at the shop getting an estimate while I wait for the insurance companies to battle it out, I was forced to ride my motorcycle to work. After being in a car accident on a clear day the last thing you want to have to do is get on a motorcycle for the commute in the rain. I've been on high alert ever since, constantly checking to make sure that other drivers see me and that I see them. Just like when we ride our bikes for a major crank session, we are vulnerable out there. Be careful, stay alert. Don't text!

No comments:

Post a Comment