Monday, May 2, 2011

Need A Vacation?


A conversation the other day made me start to think of what perks we gain from our employer other then the agreed upon salary. It just so happens that New Belgium Brewery gives their workers a free trip to Belgum after their 5th anniversary with the company. My response to that was, "I can go to Belgium now, and not have to wait five years." Suggesting that I dont wait around for a company to reward me, I reward myself.



This got me thinking of Kona and other destination races, but mainly Kona. Triathletes work hard to get to the championships and that Hawaiian vacation. Its almost like their type A nature wont allow them to just book a trip until they think they have earned it (and in this case earning it at 12-22 hours of training a week for up to 8 months of the year). To support this theory what is the first thing people ask you after you say you just finished a marathon or Ironman? "Did you train for it?" Of course you did, and im not sure why people ask such a dumb question, but it does get asked.

Moderation is certainly key and the best way to be well rounded, happy and healthy. So remember to take a vacation every once in a while to recharge your batteries and switch things up. Experience life before it passes you by.

No comments:

Post a Comment