Thursday, September 3, 2009

Wetsuits!!!

Normally people have not tried on wetsuits but ill tell you the advantages right quick... first off, the obvious one. They are designed to keep you warmer like putting on a layer of seal blubber and if you compete in a triathlon that is USAT sanctioned where the weather is under 70*, you are allowed a wetsuit. They are pretty constricting but increases your buoyancy which keeps your heavy runner/biker legs from sinking and getting out of good streamline swim form. They are usually pretty slick and smooth too, so you end up gliding through the water instead of cutting then slowing then cutting again.

So today after work I went up to Harriman park for a swim in the open lake (depth to be determined) and did about 1000m or about 15 mins. The already tightness of my shoulders and constriction of the wetsuit kind of threw me off my game a little and ill have to practice in it again. One great thing about it that kind of sets you at ease is that you can not drown in a wetsuit, its like wearing a PFD. I usually sink like a stone when not treading, but now I would have to actually propel downward with a touch of force to keep me under... just think of scuba Steve with his weight belt keeping him under.

Oh lastly I managed to find a bike to borrow (my coworker). Its in rough shape but its a 2001 Giant, size small. I took it in to get tuned up, but there are obvious signs that this guy went down hard on it at some point.. shifting is good but the back wheel does not ride straight. I went out and got pedals for it as well. Just hope I dont have to get a new back tire (cost @ 130$).

No comments:

Post a Comment