Thursday, May 20, 2010

Legs do me a solid and keep going!!

6.7 miles from my house down Iris, up Broadway (N), West on Utica and around Wonderland Lake. Returned East on Poplar, South on Broadway and all they way back down Iris.
47:18 at Pace=7:03


Just once I want my lungs and legs to get together on a run! I started out the first mile and a half strong, but then as the elevation increased my legs slowed and my stride shortened. On at the top of the pitch my lungs started to be tired and so on the down hill when the legs get a break, the lungs arnt ready for the charge.

What im talking about is not only on hilly runs, you know when you want to push the pace because you really arnt out of breath yet but your legs just wont go any faster? Or when your legs are strong, and you have a great stride going, but you just cant seem to catch your breath enough to hold it for very long?

I have another problem which I have no idea how to remedy, im going to need help with this one.. At about 6 miles (sometimes 4-6) and when im pushing the pace to about 6:30 or better, so im toe (or mid foot) planting, full stride out I start to get blisters and rubbing. Any ideas? Im going to go out and get running specific socks (mainly bc im running through socks like crazy lately) and I ordered new running shoes.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

  1. Socks, Dan. That's the biggest thing right there. You need the technical socks even though they are expensive. I had the same problems as you did a few years back when I thought it didnt matter. Yeah, then the blisters came and started killing me. Plus, you are right, when you have shoes that are over two years old, something is going to take the heat and rubbing (your feet). Your old shoes have most likely broken down so much that there is no elasticity or cushioning left, so instead of your shoes absorbing some of the shock, your legs and feet do.

    ReplyDelete