Friday, October 22, 2010

Am I a Winter Flier or Spring/Summer Crawler?

http://www.runtri.com/2010/08/toughesteasiest-marathon-average-finish.html


This is a great question, and is highly dependent on both your training schedule and your genetic strengths and weaknesses. As a collegite athlete I found that I was able to proform well out of the gates and off of preseason training. Im guessing I was hungry and fresh. The first few meets I would post a new PR but would still have my season goals set high enough that they were still out of grasp.

When you have a break out like that you have to ask yourself..What did you do well? Was it the training? What could you improve on? What were your strengths going into it? And what were your weaknesses?

You can train to improve your weaknesses but its better to play to your strengths. No one ever kept their sanity fighting gavity and you shouldn't either.

One thing I have to remember is that the answers to those questions may not relate well to a different sport. Track and Field has a Fall/Winter/Spring season schedule and triathlon is mainly summer. I have to give my training new purpose? and shift it so that I peak within the season. Your body goes through cycles, ask any fit women who hides her fat pants under her bed instead of throwing them out. Im finding that after competing poorly in a fall cold weather race that maybe im a better runner in the warmer temperatures. I have stated before that I seem to be solar powered at times. Im reminded of a cartoon episode of Denise the menice where he rides a horse thats lazy and slow on sunny days but then turns over a new leaf in rainy muddy conditions and wins the race. Now conditions arent everything but I at least know which ones ill have to train harder for. I just wish the days didnt get so short this time of year.



Scream Scram 5K: overall place: 26 out of 494 division place: 3 out of 34 gender place: 22 out of 196 time: 20:34 pace: 6:38. Splits: 1m: 5:55, 2m: 13:00. Won the raffle prize of an Udderly Smooth lotion moo prize kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment