Thursday, October 14, 2010

Take the shirt off, you earned it

Back to basics I decided to venture out and find a new track to do a workout on instead of sitting in traffic on my commute home from work. I found Denver South High School about 6 miles from my office. Its located near Wash Park.

Upon initial arrival I thought I was going to have to reach into my bag of tricks and once again scale a 12 ft fence to make this happen, as I have so many other times in the past (see: Pirated Run ) There were fences everywhere keeping you out of both tracks on campus. Yea you heard me correct, this HS had 2 all weather tracks, I was about to have a trackgasm. The main one had a soccer game going on within the stadium and the alternate field had football practice that was about to finish before marching band practice. I slipped in under the radar while the fb players were touching each other on the ass and doing their send off cheer. I was in, game on!

No watch so I was going to just run a few laps but then decided to throw in an untimed workout and not waste my track time. No hurdles but I did a full warm up including strides. On the menu was what I call the dice workout. You roll the dice to see how many 400 repeats youll be doing..1 being a time trial (sub 60 hopefully) and 6 meaning you wont walk tomorrow. I rolled a 5 and after the first one took my breath away I started to get frustrated. Really? I lost all my endurance and running ability after taking 2 weeks off? It was as if I had just moved from sea level to the mile high city. I put my purse down and took in the rhythmic poundings of the drum section and kept an even pace throughout (based on feel).

I figure it went like this:

72,75,77,75,74

The sun started to fade but my legs wanted more so in between games at the stadium I snuck in there for a little stair work.

up/down x 6
hops x2
inclined lunges x1


Now and explanation of the blog title. As a guy much older then the hs age I cant help but feel funny about hanging out around the HS during their practices. I know outsiders cause distraction during practices in general but then it gets hot and there is no way my shirt is staying on. Sorry, but not really. When you have worked hard for that hard body, you shouldnt feel ashamed to show it off (even when unintentionally) no matter where and when you are. Go for it! You earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment