Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Practice Mistakes

Back when I was a D1 NCAA athlete I remember my coach corrilating how you practice is how you are going to compete. This statement holds some value but we must not forget to make mistakes and learn as we go. There isnt only one way to get you to that finish line with your goals in hand.

Today while on the bike I was thinking as a Triathlete. Every detail matters no matter how small because any number of factors could stop you cold and prevent you from becoming and Ironman or can add on mins that youve worked so hard to shave off.

In that mindset, there are definately mistakes you wanto to make and learn from in practice so that they dont occur on race day. Its about controling the things that are within your control. Weather, road conditions, current, cars and what other competitors do just have to be adjusted to. The things you can control are pace, technique, falls, mental status/decisions, intake (refuel and hydration). There are also things included in your race that you can minimize the threat of failure but once you start the race it is all up to chance. These things include: flat tires, blisters from shoes, fogged goggles, and lost or forgotten items.

With 25 days left until my first 70.3 I must rely on my limited tri experience as well as my researched materials. Ive been testing out different equipment, bike positions, and transition formulas to find which will work best for me and how I organize thoughts in my head under extreme pressure.

Once I have made my mistakes and found what seems to work best for me then and only then is it time to Practice Practice Practice until its engrained into me and im programed to default to that movement without thought or hesitation.

Some of the mistakes im working on:

Swim/Bike/Run pace out of the gates/TA

The use of anti fog when it actually fogs my goggles up more

Getting familiar with the Syracuse course so that im confident of where im at and where im going and how much I have left at all times.

Brake tention, tire pressure, seat height

Shoe tightness (bike and run)

nutrition


Its not graded so you can get credit with C's but only A's will get you there first!



Workout:

Spin for 52 mins
Roost Run 6.6 mi Pace=

No comments:

Post a Comment