Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Right where I need to be

Actual:

Training in Boulder has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. It’s been wonderful training along side or bumping into greats such as Chrissie Wellington, Matty Reed, Steve Jones, Jenny B., and Joanna Zeiger to name a few. It’s almost like I’m now solar powered, feeding off the energy that such a beautiful place provides. However, the altitude at first demanded my respect like an untamed stallion but now after several months I've acclimated to it and it’s taught me so much about my limits and VO2 max. I’m excited to be racing at sea level and the ease that that will bring.

Living in Boulder to me has not been a physical vs. mental but union of both working together for the same goal. The mind is happy with the scenery (great backdrop of the Flatirons), and tells the legs to keep going so we can see more. The mind is in control, and the legs are ok with that. It’s a great leader, follower relationship and laid back approach to workouts and racing because this is where you want to be, this is where the dream lands you.

Mentally:

I’ve spent countless hours researching, reading, writing anything Triathlon and Triathlete related, but more than that I've studied up on technique of each event individually. I read Lance Armstrong’s book on biking, I've picked the brains of many great runners and reminded myself what it was to be a runner before I specialized on the off the ground stuff of Pole Vault. I will be a runner first last and always and had my bike as my primary mode of transport and freedom in my youth. Swimming on the other hand was relatively new. If you don’t compete in it and don’t get lost at sea then there isn’t much need for long distance swimming. Not being a fish I’m also not used to being in the water but I was born surrounded by water so I can remind myself that water can be my sanctuary.

The last month or so I've been trying to teach myself patience, and continue the transformation from sprinter to endurance (extreme) athlete. This means pacing, not going out too hard and letting adrenaline take over. Not to have quick reactions or decisions and not to dwell on events.

Physically:

I began this training with a goal and I took it one day at a time. In the winter months, I started in the weight room, lifting and trying to pack on the beef that would inevitably protect the rest of me from the intense training sessions ahead. I had a lot of cross training, cross fit, spin classes, yoga, kick boxing, shadow boxing, and various other sports and games. I wanted to start out as a well rounded student of the event and then specialize into the person that would be able to hang at the top of the list as a Triathlete.

In 9 months of training my weight has fluctuated, my over all body shape has changed and my energy levels varied, but at this point I can tell you that I feel like and even look like a Triathlete. My research has given me the ability to create some great training cycles, if you have been keeping up with this blog you already knew that each cycle had a specific focus. Sometimes the focus was mastered and other times it was recycled as an undertone.

Throughout some pretty demanding days, weeks and cycles made of blocks, bricks and intervals I've somehow managed to remain injury free. The usual culprits: poor riding position, imbalanced muscles, a weak core or just another birthday and that’s my secret. I’m well balanced, flexible, and have a strong core. That’s not to say I don’t feel beat up, but I’m confident that the damage that I have self inflicted is all recoverable during my tapper. The reason this has been such a surprise and accomplishment is that this has been my first time with so much distance and work load. I added on as much as 7, 235, 80 miles a month swimming biking and running, which was a huge increase from my previous trainings of a measly 1, 50, 25 miles/mo.

Right now I’m ready to execute the 70.3 course and become a member of the elite Ironman group.

I didn’t want to conclude without paying homage to the help and support I’ve received along the way. I wouldn’t have started without the events of NYC and the mental state I was in that was in need for a new project. I wouldn’t have even signed up if it weren’t for my sister planning to also do one. I wouldn’t have pushed myself as far as I have without the great training partners I have at my disposal (Kylee, Emma, Aaron, RR, BAM, SS, Chris, and others). And lastly it’s been great telling my story both here on this blog and on my fan page. I hope I’ve inspired some people and motivated them too to test their own personal limits and grow through learning all they can on their own subject of passion. I look forward to sharing the moment with those that choose to come out on race day and see what this whole Ironman thing is all about first hand, and provide additional energy.. because I’m sure I’ll need it.

Thanks

DS future IRONMAN

1 comment: