Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Team

Today I submitted my paperwork to be a member of the 2011 Runners Roost Tri Team.

You don't know how much you'll miss being on a team until you are out facing the competition alone. While track and field/XC isn't much of a team, you still always have someone to train with, and celebrate your successes with. For me its a no brainer. I like the people I've met during the Wed. night club runs at the Roost. They really take care of us, providing free food, post run beers and weekly give-a-way prizes. Not to mention a 10-20% store discount on those nights.

The team will be treated just as well with comp. race entries, discounted coaching sessions, store discounts and head to toe gear.

When I did the Colfax Marathon Relay I was surprised how motivated all 5 of us were to run well, both coming into the race and throughout the 2010 season. We broke 3 hrs in the marathon as a team, and 2 of the team members used that experience to go out and do the same..SOLO!

I've read about a lot of bloggers and athletes out there that are sponsored and I feel that no matter what the deal/contract is, you have to believe in the product. No one is going to take a shoe deal with a company that cant make a proper shoe and that leads to the athletes decline in performance. I believe in RR, they really do great things for the running community of Colorado and it would be an honor to dawn their race kit.

After submitting I had a moment of panic, am I really RR material? I'm really new to endurance racing/Triathlons and road racing for that matter. My times are slow in comparison to others I run with at the club runs and it seems like even the age groupers around here could compete with elites around the world.

I always strive to be in the top 10%, but not just for one sport or event... for everything that I attempt. To be a true athlete who is well rounded and able to pick up a new sport at the drop of a hat and be in the mix. I've had successes in the past, I currently hold the University at Buffalo indoor and outdoor records in the pole vault. I was the silver medalist in 2008 in the pole vault at the Empire State Games and in 2003 I was a IC4a regional NCAA qualifier. Now retired from pv I've moved on to try new things and keep it exciting, in order to test my limits.

So being new to the running world, I'm aware that maybe its not my times that will get me on this team. It will be my potential. My potential to improve my times, and my potential as an ambassador for the store and to motivate others in their endeavors.

You be the judge:


How Many Races Did You Compete In Last Year (2010)? 6

List Your Top 5 Races With Times and Overall/Age Group Placing for 2010?
Bolder Boulder 10k 43:31 OA 1280 AG 38/481
Lyons River Run 5k 19:39 OA 23/496 AG 5th
Boulder Peak Oly Tri S:30:07 B:1:25:34 R:50:31=2:49:23 OA 502/1344 AG 63/129
Rocky Mt Warrior Dash 3.3M (12 obstacles) 25:30 OA 25/5237 AG 9th (wave winner)
Syracuse Ironman 70.3 S:35:40 B:3:25 (3 flats) R:DNF (medical/mechanical) = DNF

5K Personal Best Time? 19:39
10K Personal Best Time? 43:31
Sprint Tri Best Time? 1:28:46
Oly Tri Best Time? 2:49:23

What Are Your Racing Goals for 2011?

To continue to show improvement as I gain experience, and shift from sprint/field events to endurance racing. Expand my horizons, competing in different length races in order to chisel out a niche in Colorado and reach my racing goals.
Sprint Tri @1hr
Olympic Tri @2:30
10k sub 40
5k sub 19 (having gone sub 20 for the first time this year at my 3rd 5k ever).
Gain triathlon experience and work on my nutrition in order to one day attempt another 70.3 (with an overall goal of a Kona qualifier one day).

Why Would You Be a Good Ambassador for Runner's Roost?

Post track and field collegiate career at the D1 level I began to give back to my sport by coaching. I volunteered as an assistant coach for my own alma mater Gate Chili High School 2001-2005, and was appointed the jumps coach for a season at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in 2006. I also put on demonstrations/expositions for the Flying Circus pole vault club and Heights Unlimited Vault Club 2008-2009. I enjoy motivating others to test their own personal physical and mental boundaries and set goals. Leading by infectious example, and showing strong enthusiasm, drive, and commitment toward everything I do. On top of this, in 2010 I put together an all star team for the Colfax Marathon Relay where our goal was only to break 3 hours. We ended up not only breaking 3 hours for 26.2 miles but also won our division and the prestigious Colfax Cup (which we will defend in 2011). This inspired 3 of the team members to run their own solo marathon races in which 2 of those members actually broke 3 hours themselves. It’s amazing what motivation you can gain from others. My motto is to always continue to challenge yourself and try new things.

How Are You Involved in the Running and Triathlon Community?

I view the running community as part of a greater group, one that runs for a cause and tries to better their fitness and times for the awareness of those causes.

Other than competing, I regularly volunteer for local races just to be around the sport and share ideas with my competitors. I have by no means mastered road racing or the Tri sport and can’t help but become a student of training, preparation and execution of these events. In this realm, I currently administer a Facebook Fan Page and a training blog which shares my experiences and researched findings related to Running and Triathlon training, racing and their culture. I've enjoyed meeting so many like minded people at weekly club runs, and races that it has reinforced my decision in now calling Colorado home.

1 comment:

  1. Dan Simpson. You are a ______. Just because you can't quite say you are an Ironman, I truly believe that you can say that you are a champion. You are a hard worker, team player, and motivator for all. Don't ever question whether you deserve to be on a team or not. You deserve it just as much, if not more than others. As you gain experience with endurance events, you will gain the confidence and success that you had in pole vault. Never give up on your dreams.

    ReplyDelete