Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Colorado, came for the winter skiing, stayed for the summer adventures

As we start a new month, it just so happens that a new cycle is also being instituted. With only about 6 weeks left before my Tri I have to focus more on my weak points, namely the swimming and biking.

Today's swim was not at all quality, my breathing timing was way off and I was panicy. I only swam for 300m, which really is only a warm up. That might be the last time I swim in that pool, a change of venue might be just what I need to awaken my inner Loch Ness.

Determined to stick to the block plan today I jumped on my newly repaired bike and headed out on a familiar loop. Within the first 15 mins my legs had started to burn, and tighten up and from a pace that really want all that demanding to begin with. I forced the issue and pedaled on. That was until the very last hill on 36 before my turn down hill on Nelson. The tightness became too great and I had to jump off and get in a quick stretch (quads-just above the knee, upper hamstring, and inner thy). Saddle soreness was also an issue but there isnt much you can do about that.

After remounting I was rewarded by the down slope and a rejuvenating reminder of why I like this loop. My tires were a bit under pressure and my tuck doesnt seem to be as tight as it once was but sometimes you just have to keep moving forward.

23 miles in 1h19:49 which gave me a pace of 17.3 mph.

That is my second best speed on the bike for a long ride. Not too bad for having taken a little over a month off from riding.

After a bit of lunch I hit up the weight room for a maintenance lift:

5min jog warm up
Clean 5x6 ft squat last: 135, 135, 135, 135, 135
Overhead shoulder row machine L/R 4x15-20: 55,55,55, 55
Laying shoulder row 3x8 L/R: 17.5, 17.5, 17.5 (can probably go up to 20s if careful)
Bi curl 4x8 L/R: 35, 35, 35, 35
Hanging leg raises 2x15
Tri Ext 3x15 L/R: 100, 100, 110
Leg Curl 2x10 L/R: 80, 90






Where do you run in the pack?

Im new to running with people and on a group run the other day it dawned on me how much a running pack is like any other pack. Whether we are talking about nomads or dogs, there is a hierarchy. This one however usually allows its members to take turns leading, that is if you know each moment and on each run where your spot is supposed to be in the pack. On this particular run I was the weakest link so I pretty much stayed toward the back and struggled to keep up. For me the pace was not conversation, it was listen and nod pace. Its great running with others but dont get too used to running behind others, no one ever amounted to greatness by following others.

Happy Running

No comments:

Post a Comment