Friday, June 11, 2010

I have Endured

Res loop 5.2 then one min rest/refuel with a Gel and water, then 4.44 to around main parking lot and back to start. I then waded into the small res to cool off the legs for 8 mins. Run: I went out strong, but controlled. At the 4 mile mark I had a strong stride down hill and it wasnt hindered at all on the uphill. Remained strong through the windy turns on the path and over the narrow bridge. Took it home but didnt over do it to the refueling after lap one (5.2 miles in 36:45 Pace= ). After refuel I didnt go out as hard or strong as I left the first time, nor how I came in. I tried to go mind numb for the first mile and relaxed. Started to get a hot spot on my left foot at about mile 6 then my hip flexor got tired around mile 7. Mile 8 my left ankle and knee had a bit of pain and slowed me from pushing the pace home on the return after the parking lot loop (decided not to hit up the hills on the road). The last mile could have been a lot stronger, mentally and physically I had it, but didnt want to push anything on the spots that were experiencing pain (and possibly make them worst). The last 400 just happened to be up hill and I blasted out a high knee stride finish which I could have held for at least 2x that distance.

After the soak, and ride home Im not experiencing too much pain. Lungs have a slight cough when I take a deep breath, left foot has the beginnings of a blister, and my quads are going to be sore tomorrow for sure.

I have finally endured the pain, not to the point of failure but to the point where the decision was going to have to be made... do I continue and risk injury, or do I slow or even stop? For me the hardest part is both the first and last 2 miles. Maybe its because I push the pace during those phases, maybe my mind needs to settle in. I do notice that I run better off the bike. Its almost like im using my peddle cadence on the ground and just pumping along as I run as an extension of my ride without the bike.

1 comment:

  1. You've come a long way since that first day I ran with you back in March. Very awesome to see you progress-keep working hard!

    ReplyDelete