Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lyons River Run

Lyons, CO showdown with Kylee and Ryan

5k= 19:39 avg pace= 6:20


First mile 5:39 Pace= 5:39
Second mile 12:00 Pace= 6:21
Third mile 19:19 Pace= 7:19

23rd of .. and 5th in age group

http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?pubID=3&rsID=95450


http://www.runcolo.com/content/363-lyons-river-run-5k-results-2010.html


Im out there and racing again! Since June was a little light on races I added this showdown with anyone who was up for the challenge. My competition: Kylee, and Rhino as well as members from both Runners Roost and Fleet Feet. We chose the Lyons River Run 5k because its so nice to be able to roll out of bed and be at the start line in less then 20 mins. The race started at 8 and we picked up our bibs and logo shirts as well.

The race ads brought runners of many shapes, sizes, ages and health levels by the groves (roughly 800 entrants). It was a true community event! After having to go to the bathroom like 4 times due to nerves I was on the line right near the front. The start wasnt the most exciting, it was a soft spoken race directer that counted down from 3 and yelled go!

Refusing to trample the little tikes in front of me, I took a few steps at a sprint pace and immediately left Ryan in my wake. Kylee squeezed through a great start route toward the side and we met in the middle of the road free and clear at the first turn. At turn 2 or 3, apparently I didnt get the memo that it was now time to settle into pace because I was off and running.

I came across the first mile marker (a hay bail with a number on it) at a whopping 5:35 pace, and surprisingly enough I was not in the red zone at that point. Much of the first mile was down hill, and I did have pre race gitters that needed to settle down. Now that the course took a turn at a slight incline there was no way I was going to be able to keep that pace so I hammered back a bit. 800m later we went around a big loop in the Lyons High School parking lot around a monster Highway Dept vehical, and it was at that point I assessed how I was doing in our mini race. Ryan was 200m behind me and Kylee was behind him about 400m. Just before mile 2 Ryan caught up with me and I was seriously starting to fade. At mile 2 Kylee passed me and there was no fight left in me. We crossed there in 12 min which was still on pace for some great times. Ryan to our surprise and after only doing 3 training runs for this race continued to push strong to the finish. The course went to gravel and a lot of turns which crossed Lyons River several times.

The last mile included a massive hill and at this point Ryan was 800m ahead of me and Kylee was 300m. I normally have a huge kick and they were certainly waiting for it, but today the cramp in my side and loss of breath was just too great.

The finish line was at the end of yet another hill, I turned the last corner off the final bridge crossing and gazed up at the clock. I was going to break 20min for the first time ever and finish the goal I had set for myself. My official time was 19:39 and my watch time was 19:34. It was by no means a smartly run race, but im still new to the sport and lets face it with my hard head the only way I learn is through painful mistakes like this one.

Post race we were given a grocery bag and in semi trick or treat fashion were instructed to sample from the goodies laid out on the table (only one each!). Some of it was pretty interesting, including: dog food, tooth paste, salsa, non-refrige milk. I stuck with the water.

We took a cool down run of 20 mins which included a few photo shoot moments and then got back to check the results. Both Ky and Ryan placed in their age groups and I got 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment