Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The road to 70.3 is a hilly one


Great ride from Boulder to Lyons today!!

31miles in 1:38:25 Pace= 18.9

That is my best ride to date, fastest and farthest...more hill and speed work to come, distance wont be a problem come July!

I put on my new Ironman bike shorts and took it easy the first 10 mins, but then had tightness in my upper hamstrings and inner thy. I hit a wall 2 times going out and coming back seemed slow. I jumped off for a snack and a stretch at 15.5 miles in 48 mins (19+mph). Over all very happy with this ride. Things are finally coming along!

Swim (to make up for yesterday):

.33mile at 35 min/mi pace

What makes me a great athlete is not my performance or achievements, its the fact that I can learn things so quickly. It was my advantage when competing as a pole vaulter and it can be used as a huge strength in my tool shed now. After a few sub par swims lately I did a little research and tried a few things in today's practice.

I switched from my clear goggles to the tinted ones (chances are that in an open water/outdoor swim, ill be wearing something mirrored to try and reduce glare. I dont particularly like these goggles, they tend to fog up almost immediately no matter what sort of remedy I try to institute (anti fog solution, spit...). I also started to try to get used to closing my eyes while my head is down in the water (yea kind of like one of those little baby dolls from the 70s). To my astonishment I actually transitioned to this format quite well, and I was comfortable and calm. My arms felt strong so I also tried a different style of stroke that pulled closer to my body and scooped a bit more instead of pawing. Judging by my times I had a great stream line position, strong stroke, and seemed to almost make due with the air usage.

I attempted the alternating breathing and was more successful this time around at it, however like Derek Zoolander, I still have yet to master going left!

No comments:

Post a Comment