Monday, March 22, 2010

The non plan plan


The reason for me not following a strict cyclic plan or even a weekly regiment is for much the same reason that I don't follow a sports team. Come Sunday when your "team" is down with seconds to spare and the kicker shanks it, you become depressed, disappointed and less motivated to root for them again. On the other hand if you are watching the game for the pure enjoyment of the sport by professionals the way its supposed to look, then a loss of one team over another to you is just part of the game, unconnected. You become motivated to better your sport and athletic ability. I mean, lets face it a 240lb guy being able to run a 4.3 40yd and be able to move any car sized objects out of his way without losing that speed, is pretty impressive. I challenge you to keep tabs on what motivates you and what pulls the wind from your sails, you may be in for a surprise. One 2 min clip on Youtube of someone working out like crazy, doing some moves that I've never seen before, and looking great doing it... thats motivation enough for me to go out and earn that next meal or nap.


Today im motivated by the sunshine and birds chirping. Theres nothing like a morning ride or run with the sun in your face, the fresh cold mountain air, and an open road for miles. Can you picture it? Well add in the mountainous back drop of the great divide and you have a canvas for the successful completion of your goals, motivated till you puke! I like to also incorporate a soundtrack from my ipod, a killer combination of upbeat notes and empowering words of wisdom. I figure, I cant draw or play an instrument so my movements will have to be my artistic expression.

Bike/Run transition.. they dont exactly go together like pbj.

23mile ride on my new 2003 Cannondale = 1:20:49 (4min faster into more wind) Pace=17mph

3mile run= 22:51 pace= 7:37 with a 7:21 pace for the first 2 miles.


I didnt realize the distances until after the first half mile in the run, but I basically did a Sprint Tri today (minus the swim, and having almost the full bike distance). I felt strong on the bike through the first 10 miles, at the turn I was with the wind and down hill and got a lot of speed up (probably around 30mph). The return is pretty hilly and the wind coming back across really didnt help.

On the bike I attempted a recharge with a ras. gel that I had stowed onto my race belt. It was kind of a sticky mess but very do able and Id rather do it on the bike then on foot during the run. If you dont chase these gels with a lot of water it gets stuck in your throat and obstructs your breathing (you end up spitting for the next 3 mins, and on the run you need to conserve water between water stations).

I got off the bike and dropped my bike/gear I felt strong with a low recovery on foot but true to every hefty transition ive ever done, a mile in my shins started to lock up and that low recovery turns into a toe drag. Mini hills are no match for my seasoned quads though, I just have to keep mentally focused. The reason im surprised is that the pace seemed more like 8min mile pace, I guess im getting more efficient. I also could have finished the last half mile with a kick but didnt.

The aftermath:

I got home and then the pain of what I just did to myself set in within the first 10 mins. I got the chills, my ankle started to scream at me in a loud authoritative voice and all I could do was sit down and start to stretch (which is pretty much all i needed to do). I got some water and had a very proud lunch. Now its time for a nap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment