Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Some people have gills and webbed feet

Due to my workout times its not very often that I see anyone in the pool with me but on occasion I see this guy that cheats using a snorkel and he is literally in the pool head down for over 30-50 mins. I dont know how he does it. I get really bored swimming back and forth. So far ive only been able to muster the patience for a mile which is about 18 laps (I think). When I had a trainer for my last stand pole vault season we did a lot of initial testing. Balance, flexibility, range of motion measurements, as well as speed, strength and jumps. He found a few things that we needed to work on but over all my structure was pretty sound. So I ask him, "ive always been a natural athlete, I could just pick up new sports and events and hold my own, if not excel, but what do you think my body type is best suited for?" He laughed because Jay was a pretty cocky trainer and tells me to give him 3 years and he could get me into any event. His determination didnt seem as cocky after I spoke with him further. His assessment was basted on the testing and my weight room background, not to mention my work ethic. Thats the key, since ive always tried new things and switched up my lifting its made me a better athlete. He and a lot of athletes out there swear by interval training and no longer just isolating muscle groups and movements. The results speak for themselves.

Getting back to my opening section, mentally im best suited for short burst athletics. Lifting, sprinting. I have a lot of focus and I can channel aggression, but as ive stated it is only short lived. How im going to get through this Ironman is something I have yet to figure out. The race I assume will last about 6 hours. Beginning with the swim at 8am (40 mins), Bike (3 hours), Run (2 hours). These are rough estimates based on pace but if you read these blog entries youll find that I dont over train. So the first day I reach competition distance will be the day of. Its crazy to think that before Monday I had never ran more then 3 miles at one time.
Its after the 2nd that you start to remember that its not a sprint, you wont be done any time soon so you better just settle in and stop thinking. Let everything go and just run.

I have a good friend who is a sports psychologist and totally dont think shes appreciated enough. Some events are 90% mental, so in her case she can take you farther into training and competing by just unlocking that potential. Sunday im going to try something new, unlocking that potential with drugs. WOah!! hold on, hear me out for a minute. Its called Hashing and you chance someone down thats leading and on the trail there are beer stations, you drink and continue running. Doesnt it sound like something thats only quazi dangerous and a lot of fun? Think of the story ill be able to talk about after doing something like that. Its not illegal, so im game. Stay tuned.

http://www.active.com/swimming/Articles/4-Pre-Swim-Warm-Up-Movements.htm?act=AFC-SocialMedia&Property=Active&Sport=Swimming&PageType=Content_Articles&Emp=SA&PostType=Micro_blogging&Site=ActiveTwitter&Dy=03_01_10&Note=4-Pre-Swim-Warm-Up-Movements

No comments:

Post a Comment