Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The impression that I get

Workout Wed on the track again after a 1000m swim and 6min Elaine kicks session



1000m ladder:
200=31
400=69
800=3:05
1000=4:00
800=3:12
400=73
200=30

Total: 10:31

Had a little bootie lock after the 1000 but I came back down the ladder strong and finished the last 400 and 200 like a champ. I just have to work on my 800 times because they were off the expected pace!


Ironman... "does not impress me":

When I told a friend of mine recently that I was training for an Ironman she said that she was more impressed when I was competing in the polevault. Stating that if you can walk you can finish an Ironman, "if polevaulting was easier then the Ironman, every skinny-fat weekend warrior would own a pole, not a road bike." I told her but not everyone can do the half in 4h 30 or a Triathlon in under 2h which are near my goals for these events. All take super charged workouts and technical know how.

This person is a kick ass athlete and I respect her opinion fully. I agree that anyone can get off the couch and do a Marathon, Tri, Ironman and it does seem like a lot more people are setting and reaching those goals. I personally will not accept mediocrity, I have to excel in whatever I do and I will always put in 110%. But does this person have a valid point? If so, what competitive realm is best for measuring ones true athleticism?

Yesterday I was asked what will be next after the completion of my half Ironman? Certainly at this point I have no interest in competing a full Ironman unless I qualify for Kona my first run out (top in my age group and around 4hrs for the 70.3), and im unsure if id even otherwise continue with the endurance sports. Due to injury and accessibility a 2nd run out of retirement for polevault does not seem to be an option.

This really only leaves one thing, the thing that was suggested in the opening conversation...Crossfit! Crossfit has been on the scene and gaining popularity for about 5 years now. Last year was the first year for the Crossfit games where workout junkies compete in the same exercises or WOD's for time and also displays of strength. Interval training has been a part of my training for the last 3 years at least, WOD ladies or not and im very much a fan of the weight room and strength training. However enticing as it may be, ive skirted around showing up at a Crossfit gym due to the fact that many of these sessions are more about how fast you can do the workout, rather then doing the movements correctly. As a result, the inexperienced weekend worriers have seen a lot of injuries.

Even still, Crossfit is the most logical next step. Why? Not only does my background and physical make up make me ideal for the sport, it is also a test of full body and mind. Olympic winners in the Decathlon are crowned greatest Athlete in the world. Ten events over 2 days which test multiple uses of strength, endurance and technique. For me a remarkable athlete would have the ability to be challenged to a race in a sport in which he is unfamiliar, and still excel (meaning still be better then avg.). How do you reach world class fitness?
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.

Practice and train major lifts: Deadlifts, clean, squat, presses, snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics, pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, Run, Swim, Row.

Five or six days a week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense.

Regularly learn and play new sports!

1 comment:

  1. Alright, Ill start the debate with my opinion.

    Yes, Im an endurance athlete, so to hear someone say that it is more impressive to see you as a pole vaulter than by training for an Ironman is kind of a blow to "my kind". I will agree in saying that anyone has the opportunity train for and complete a 70.3. And the same goes for a marathon. People can walk a marathon and say they finished it.

    But the key difference here that needs to be highlighted is the fact that you are not some mediocre athlete that is "just getting by" to complete the 70.3. You are training your ass off so that you can give it your all on race day. Coming from a running background, it is extremely impressive to see someone push their endurance limits. If you have never done an endurance sport, I suggest you try it first before judging. Personally, I have been challenged physically and mentally in ways you would never be able to in jumping or throwing events. I have thrown up, passed out, and bled to become a champion. And that right there is impressive.

    I will say that pole vault is a technical, physically and mentally challenging event. But it is in a different category than endurance events. Equally as challenging and impressive, yes, I think so. But if we are comparing the best of endurance to the best of pole vault, its like comparing apples and broccoli. They are not the same.

    Challenge yourself and try new things, for that is what life is about. Have no regrets and keep up that competitive spirit, for ultimately when you have that, you can conquer the world. That, my friend, is impressive.

    ReplyDelete